A blessed New Year, dear reader!
A Need For Positive Change
Our year ended in tragedy with the horrendous killing of innocent children and adults in Connecticut. We all need to believe and pray there will be changes made for the better in helping the mentally ill, permitting God in schools, and improving security at all schools. Positive changes must be made.
Challenge yourself to make some positive changes for 2014. Consider simplifying your life in some way.
I made a decision to simplify my life in a couple of areas, instead of my Concept of the Month, I am going to publish quarterly concepts. I have staff simplifying the internal workings of my business. I have chosen only six months of the year that I will do speaking engagements, as they require much preparation.
That nasty word! Eliminating clutter gives us a more relaxed, peaceful environment and removes stress.
1. Start with things you no longer want or use.
2. I tell my clients to set a timer for at least 30 minutes each day and work in one area. When that time is up, decide if you want to work at it longer.
3. I also challenge clients to set a weekly goal of filling three 30-gallon trash bags that will go out of the environment, either to charity or to the dump. Some say “Only three?” and others say “Wow, three a week?” It’s just a suggestion. We only use 20% of our possessions, leaving 80% to clutter our environment.
Celebrate the open space and breathing room you now have and promise yourself that you won’t accumulate more stuff to fill the space.
Make 2014 the year to get healthier both mentally and physically.
1. Get a complete physical examination with lab work and other tests your doctor recommends (e.g., EKG, stress test, colonoscopy, mammogram, prostate exam, bone density analysis, etc.) Learn the important numbers: blood sugar, cholesterol and triglyceride levels, blood pressure, heart rate readings, etc. Start a “get healthier” log that include these numbers and your height and weight.
2. Begin an exercise program. The truth is, if we don’t take the time to exercise now, we will be forced to give up precious time in the future. Life isn’t fun when flat on our backs in a hospital hooked up to tubes. Remember, when you exercise you release endorphins, powerful chemicals that energize us and lift our mood.
3. Getting mentally healthier means lowering stress levels, eliminating chaos, being around positive upbeat people, learning new techniques of how to bounce back from adversity, stress, and change. It also means scheduling in fun, laughter and things to enjoy. Learn to care less about changes that you have little control over. Don’t let your emotions rule your life. Many of my clients find themselves reacting to small, unimportant stressors (i.e., gum on a rug, dishes in a sink, spilt milk, etc.). Instead, look at the big picture of the goals of the home and how you can help the children develop good self-esteem and strong character.
4. Be sure to surround yourself with positive people who lift your spirits and energize you. Being around positive, uplifting people give us energy. Negative, moody people drain the life right out of us, so choose positive people when possible.
5. I have a 100 item checklist for the five areas of your life that can help you identify your strengths and weaknesses: physical environment, health, emotional, money, and relationships. Be sure to ask for one when you come in for an appointment.
All of these suggestions for change require commitment and effort. Sometimes these decisions are difficult, but change can move you to a better place. View change positively even if the change has a sting to it. Everything around us is constantly changing, we are changing. Only One never changes and that is our Savior.
“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.”
Blessings to you, dear reader, and good luck with making positive changes throughout the year. I invite you to e-mail me your progress.
“God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change,
The wisdom to know the ones I can,
And the strength to know it’s me.”